Rain - A poem - a challenge

I have been participating in an poetry writing/reading group at the Normal Public Library, that is being led by an amazing poet and friend Kathleen Kirk.  She has invited me to share three days of poetry that I have written.  I haven't published these before, but I have shared this one at the Poetry Is Normal Readings.  It was written about how white noise, like rain, can have a calming effect on sleep.
I'd love any responses you have.  If you'd like to join the challenge, all you have to do is post three.  Kathleen reminded me that in April (Poetry Month) there is a poem a day challenge.  I am trying to ramp up my writing to focus and write a poem a day in April as well.   I am really missing the time spent with other poets at the Poetry is Normal events.  Maybe we can zoom those at some point. 

Here's today's shared poem.  I hope you enjoy it!

Rain

Unable to sleep, I start
the white noise machine’s purr.
A susurration of sound
to rein in my wild mind, 
creating a reign of calm.

A susurration of sound,
not unlike the rainfall
in the wilds of normal,
the sky opens and pours
draughts to sate the thirsty soil.

Creating a reign of calm,
this rain drags light and life
deep down into the ground,
and settles many scores,
dragged deep beneath the earth.

The white noise machine’s purr
draws the dregs of tense days
deeper into the mind’s depth.
Feathered flights of fancy
now roost in somnolence.

To rein in my wild mind,
a net of softest sounds
must catch and cradle close
these bird brained ideas
imperiling my sane sleep.

Unable to sleep, I start
to lose myself, to loose
the strings that tie me down.
In weary worlds of woe,
freed by rain-like sound.  


David Hirst
02/22/2019


Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Tópico Dos: Mi Grupo Favorito

Las preguntas del Sr. Hache