Languishing over no lap swimming - Poetry Share Day 2

This is my second share of poetry in a three day challenge.  Tomorrow will be my third day and I also the start of a Poem a Day for April.  I am going to try to write a poem a day for the month of April.
I will not share each day gentle reader, because I am still kind of shy(read uncertain) about my poetic skills. 
Council to vote on new slides at Fairview | Government and ...Anyway - today being grey and dreary, and the indoor pools being closed thanks to COVID-19 I am longing for the days of swimming in the open air.  One of my favorite places to swim is Fairview Pool in Normal.  Normal Parks and Rec has an early morning lap swim for adults that starts at 6:30 in the morning.  It is a lovely time to swim and enjoy the quiet of the park.  Here is my paean to the lap swim at Fairview. 



A Fairview Dawn

My right hand reaches above my head,
breaks the silken surface, and cups then pulls
the coolness along my chest.
Then my left hand reaches out
and shifts the axis, somewhat sinisterly,
letting my head turn and take in a breath,
before tilting again to expel bursts of bubbles
that trail behind in my awakening wake.
The wall nears and my kicking feet pause
so I can fold into a turn then push off
the wall beneath the mirrored surface
that is my home, my refuge, on this summer’s morn. 
The other swimmers know that this is sacred space.
We share the sounds of water’s splash and mist that rises
off the warm pool in the coolness of the dawn.


David Hirst

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Tópico Dos: Mi Grupo Favorito

Las preguntas del Sr. Hache