Day three of poem challenge - April Fool's flower

I have always been a believer in the sacred being found in everyday items especially those that are all around us in nature. I just finished reading a lovely short story by Louise Erdrich about the mystical connection between objects https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/09/09/the-stone   

I have a connection between the flowers I plant in my garden.
My third poem in the three day challenge is brand spanking new. It comes as a response to the miracle of bulbs blooming on April Fool's Day,
and the special place this kind of flower has for so many.

April 1, 2020 the year of COVID-19



April Fool's Flower


You, narcissistic sun worshiper,
slip off your paper thin sheath
and bare your radiance to the world.


Tucked all winter into cold corners
on the north side of my house,
you patiently waited to be sprung in spring.


Having lain in wait under winter white,
green spindles sprout
and expectant buds burgeon.


Then, casting off your frail dress,
you become an ecstatic ecdysiast,
shimmering yellow bloom in wan Spring light. 

David Hirst  

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Tópico Dos: Mi Grupo Favorito

Las preguntas del Sr. Hache